An ounce of prevention, saves you and your child from teeth from tooth decay
What are Dental Sealants?
In simple terms, a dental sealant consists of a biocompatible material applied to the chewing surface of a tooth (usually the molars) to protect it from tooth decay. Most of the time, sealants are applied in pediatric patients, but they can benefit adults as well.
The teeth we use to chew, namely the molars, have wide surfaces with grooves and crevices precisely to help break down food. These helpful grooves and crevices also make those teeth more susceptible to decay because food can get stuck in them and is difficult to remove, even with thorough brushing. Some patients’ teeth have deeper grooves, and some are naturally more prone to decay due to other factors. Additionally, children are typically inconsistent with their oral hygiene. Add all these factors together, and you have the perfect opportunity for cavities to form.
Dental sealants are an easy, economical, and effective way to prevent tooth decay in the teeth that are most vulnerable.
What are the benefits of Dental Sealants?
- Dental sealants save time – The procedure takes only minutes and can be completed after a regular dental cleaning.
- Dental sealants save money – The cost of getting sealants is far less than any restorative treatment you will need to repair a decayed tooth.
- Dental sealants are non-invasive – There is no anesthesia and no drilling. There is no pain and no recovery time.
- Dental sealants are effective – Over a 2-year period, dental sealants prevent 80% of cavities in back teeth, which is where 9 out of 10 cavities occur.
- Dental sealants last – a dental sealant can last up to 10 years and are easy to replace if they become chipped or cracked or once they naturally wear away.
Dollar for dollar, dental sealants are the most effective way to prevent cavities in children and adults.
If you are interested in this highly effective preventative treatment, contact our office to book a consultation for you or your child.
A cost-effective cosmetic treatment, dental bonding can improve the aesthetics of your smile.
What is Dental Bonding?
Dental bonding is a procedure in which Dr. Gray uses a special tooth-colored material that can be molded and bonded to your tooth to fix cosmetic flaws like chips, cracks, discoloration, gaps, and unevenness. Bonding is quite versatile, non-invasive, and typically costs less than other more extensive cosmetic treatments.
The bonding material is made to match your teeth perfectly, for seamless integration with your natural teeth. It can be easily shaped to make any tooth look flawless. Once the material is bonded to your tooth, it is cured with a special light, hardening it so that it will last for many years without losing its shape, cracking, or chipping. Dental bonding material is also often used in tooth-colored restorations as a natural-looking substitute for traditional silver fillings.
What are the benefits of Dental Bonding?
When you have minor flaws in one or several teeth, dental bonding can correct them.
- Dental bonding is fast – There is little prep needed for the procedure, and it can usually be completed in a single appointment.
- Dental bonding is convenient – There is no downtime after the procedure.
- Dental bonding is non-invasive – There are no needles and no drilling.
- Dental bonding is painless – Because it is non-invasive, there is no pain involved
- Dental bonding is effective – Results are natural-looking and undetectable to the naked eye
- Dental bonding is economical – Bonding is one of the most inexpensive cosmetic treatments available.
Dental bonding is a fast and easy way to get the perfect smile you’ve always wanted.
If you are interested in cosmetic treatments and want to know if dental bonding is right for you, contact our office to book your consultation with Dr. Ian Gray, Newmarket’s most trusted cosmetic dentist.