Root Canal Therapy is an important treatment to keep your smile intact.
Root Canal Therapy
What is Root Canal Therapy?
When tooth decay extends deep inside the tooth, it can cause severe pain and compromise the tooth’s structure. At this point, Dr. Gray might recommend root canal therapy as a way to clear the tooth decay and the accompanying infection and, most importantly, save your tooth.
Root canal therapy involves removing the infected tissue from inside the decayed tooth, cleaning and disinfecting the remaining tissue, and filling the tooth in with a biocompatible material that reinforces the tooth structure. Afterward, the hole in the tooth is sealed and a crown or filling is placed to protect the tooth from future infection and fully restore its function.
While the procedure is more extensive than a typical filling, it is no more painful. In fact, most patients do not experience any pain at all during or after root canal therapy.
The most important thing to remember about root canal therapy is that it saves your tooth from needing to be extracted.
What are the benefits of root canal therapy?
Saving your natural tooth whenever possible is always the best choice for your oral health. Keeping your smile intact preserves your bite and the full function of your teeth as a whole.
- Root canal therapy is virtually painless and recovery involves typically only a few days of mild discomfort. In fact, letting your tooth go untreated and waiting until you have no choice but to have it pulled is far more painful and inconvenient than a root canal procedure.
- Root canal therapy preserves the full function of your teeth. Having a root canal procedure ensures that your tooth stays in your mouth, where it can work together with your other teeth as it was meant to do.
- Root canal therapy is a long-term solution. Once root canal treatment is complete, your tooth is once again strong and healthy. With the proper care, it will stay that way for the rest of your life.
- Root canal therapy is typically more cost effective than an extraction. A root canal is a single treatment and frequently does not require a crown. Because an extraction leaves a gap in your smile that needs to be filled, it involves at least two separate procedures (tooth extraction + replacement), and that means a higher cost to you.
- Root canal therapy is the most aesthetically pleasing option available. Restoring your tooth means no ugly gap in your smile, no unsightly chipped or cracked tooth. Plus the material used in the repair is tooth-colored, so there is no visible filling. When you smile, all you will see is healthy looking teeth.
You deserve a healthy, aesthetically pleasing smile. Root canal therapy can give you that. It relieves your pain, saves your tooth, restores your bite, and keeps your smile perfectly intact, all in a single treatment.
If you are experiencing tooth pain, please don’t ignore it. Call our office right away to book an examination appointment. You may not need root canal therapy, but if you do, you’ll be in the hands of Newmarket’s most trusted dentist.